Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
ACTIVE WILDFIRE HELP- Disaster Shelter Volunteer
What is a Disaster Shelter Service Volunteer? We are currently in need of volunteers able to respond to sheltering needs due to the current hurricane/wildfire season during COVID-19 and following COVID-19 safety guidelines. Shelter Service Associates complete tasks necessary for shelter operations and provide assistance for disaster clients. Shelter Service Associates support the day-to-day activities within a shelter which may include working in reception, registration, feeding, dormitory, information, or other areas within a shelter.
ACTIVE WILDFIRES IN RIVERSIDE/SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY
- Following worker safety procedures for working in a COVID environment
- Embodying the fundamental principles of the American Red Cross in their work with clients, disaster responders and partners
- Providing excellent client service and support the daily maintenance of the shelter operation at the direction of the assigned Shelter Supervisor
- Using the Shift Tool during the disaster event to report availability and schedule shelter shifts
- Completing the required virtual self-paced training (3 hours of training total)
- Must be 18+ years of age
- Willing and able to volunteer in person in a COVID -19 disaster shelter before, during and/or after a disaster event
- Ability to build appropriate and effective relationships with co-workers and shelter residents.
- Ability to support and correct performance, manage conflict and ask for help early on so that workflow and service delivery does not impact shelter residents or the shelter community.
- Demonstrates clear, concise, and effective written and verbal communication.
- Lift / carry 20 lbs. multiple times/shift.
- Stand and or sit for two-hour periods and walk for two miles during a shift.
- Walk on uneven terrain.
- Work outdoors in inclement weather, extreme heat and/or humidity and/or extreme cold.
- Climb two or more flights of stairs.
- Speak clearly on phone and in person.
- Work for long periods on computer and/or reading small print and/or writing.
- Drive in daytime and at night
- Ability to read, write, and follow verbal and written instructions in English
*MUST complete 3 hours of online training within 48 hours
Availability to sign up for shifts of your choice (shifts are 8 -12 hours long)
Volunteers can live in OC but must be able to travel to San Bernardino and Riverside County (ACTIVE WILDFIRES)
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: