Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
URGENT NEED - Red Cross Disaster Shelter Volunteer
What is a Disaster Shelter Service Volunteer?
We are currently in need of volunteers able to respond to sheltering needs due to the current hurricane/wildfire season during COVID-19 and following COVID-19 safety guidelines.
Following worker safety procedures for working in a COVID-19 environment
Support the day-to-day activities within a shelter which may include working in reception, registration, feeding, dormitory, information, or other areas within a shelter.
Embodying the fundamental principles of the American Red Cross in their work with clients, disaster responders and partners
Help disaster clients staying in the shelter
Providing excellent client service and support the daily maintenance of the shelter operation at the direction of the assigned Shelter Supervisor
Using our online calendar during the disaster event to report availability and schedule shelter shifts
- Must be 18+ years of age
- Access to internet connectivity to take mandatory training and sign up for volunteer shifts
- Proficient in English (able to read/write and follow verbal/written communication)
- Willing and able to volunteer in person in a COVID -19 disaster shelter before, during and/or after a disaster event
- Availability to sign up for shifts on consecutive days (shifts may be 4, 8 or 12 hours long)
- Complete 3 hours of virtual self-paced training required for position
- Ability to build appropriate and effective relationships with co-workers and shelter residents.
- Ability to support and correct performance, manage conflict and ask for help early on so that workflow and service delivery does not impact shelter residents or the shelter community.
- Lift / carry 20 lbs. multiple times/shift
- Stand and or sit for two-hour periods and walk for two miles during a shift
- Speak clearly on phone and in person.
- Work for long periods on computer and/or reading small print and/or writing.
At least 6 months and available:
- If wanting to help in localized response (inside of OC): must be available 5 days for 4, 6 or 12-hour shifts
- If wanting to help outside of OC area: must be available 14 days for 8 or 12-hour shifts
Contact: Karla Legorreta, Recruitment Specialist at Karla.Legorreta@redcross.org (714) 380-7263
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: