Outdoor Education Center - Conservation Service Day
Join the Irvine Ranch Outdoor Education Center in a service opportunity and together we will repair trails, remove invasive species, mitigate fire hazards, and enhance program areas. This session is for those who want to give back to the community and aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty!
In October 2017 our property was damaged by the Canyon Fire 2. Since then, we have repaired program areas and expanded our orange grove to become a Food Forest. Now we work to mitigate fire danger and create defensible space around our property. Your service will be a part of these continued efforts. Projects of varying difficulty will be available to accommodate school age children as well as adults and can include weeding, clearing brush, removing invasive plants, planting seeds, spreading mulch, trail repairs, program area enhancement, and more.
Arrival and check-in details will be emailed 48 hours before the date of the event.
What to Bring
- Work gloves
- Sun protection – sunscreen, hat, sunglasses
- Sturdy closed-toe shoes
- Water bottle (refill stations provided)
- Pants and long sleeves (suggested)
- BSA Waiver & Medical Record: https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/HealthSafety/pdf/680-001_AB.pdf
- Up to 5 days of fresh and raw fruit and vegetable scraps for composting. Bins will be available to dump compost at check-in. Composting provides valuable nutrients to the soil and allows for healthy and delicious fruits and vegetables to grow in our Food Forest. (optional)
- Forms needing signature to receive recognition for service hours (optional)
Maintaining the Irvine Ranch Outdoor Education Center and Food Forest requires continuous support, care, and supplies. If you are interested in providing materials to help fulfill the ongoing needs of the property, donations of the following items are appreciated.
- Amazon Wish List: https://a.co/97vx69l
- G&B Organics Citrus & Fruit Tree Fertilizer 8-4-2
- Organic potting soil (bought within 6 months)
- Hula hoes
Age Minimum (with Adult): 8+, Minimum Age:18+
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: