Food Hero "Driver" Meal Delivery - South County
Due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic, the Orange County Emergency Volunteer Center (EVC) has been activated to support immediate volunteer needs, including hands-on and virtual opportunities during this disaster. PICK UP food at a restaurant at 12pm, then deliver until about 2:30pm. No Contact Delivery - Safer during COVID times. Please sign up for a delivery date by 6pm (preferably 2 days in advance for logistics). For example, signup on Mon. 6pm for a Wed. noon shift. Sign-ups the day before will be notified on the morning of the delivery day if needed or in a "back-up driver status" which are needed due to last minute cancellations.
Delivering with Dignity OC (DWD) is an emergency response to the healthcare and economic crisis created by the novel coronavirus and works to assist the most vulnerable and isolated individuals in OC. Through partnerships with locally-owned restaurants, leading nonprofit agencies, and private corporations, the program has "food hero" volunteers deliver meals directly to the doorsteps of residents, while keeping dozens of restaurant staff employed.
Simultaneous to feeding those in need, DWD is supporting the economically devastated restaurant industry by providing supplemental revenue through the meal program. The beauty of the program is that the meals being delivered are balanced, nutritious meals prepared with tremendous heart from our partner restaurants. DWD is working with numerous non-profit partners to identify individual recipients who need the program based on “Triple Threat” criteria.
"Food Heroes" or Volunteer delivery drivers pick up food packages from restaurants and deliver the food to individuals & families in need. We need you to help deliver meals! Please be prepared to commit to picking up the meals from the restaurants spanning across OC. Inputting your address into the OneOC site will help to match you to a restaurant near you. Food Heroes abide by strict health and social distancing guidelines and follow routes developed by a food delivery logistics technology from Copia called OnFleet (phone app).
- Deliver three days of dinner meals (at one time) directly to the doorsteps of the most vulnerable in our communities according to the “triple-threat” criteria.
- This is possible through partnerships with locally-owned restaurants, non-profit community organizations, funders, private corporations, and an army of volunteers.
Important Things to Know for Food Hero Volunteers (Drivers):
- Restaurant details will be sent the day before your volunteer shift.
- Must NOT be in the “at-risk” group as defined by CDC guidelines for COVID-19
- Must be currently employed, on laid-off status or enrolled/recently graduated (Spring 2021) in an accredited college, if an issue, please email us.
- Must have a valid CA driver’s license & insurance
- We are not providing gas reimbursement. However, we are all incredibly grateful for your selflessness and humanity!
- We want to remind you that it is critically important for social distancing efforts throughout the process & must wear a mask and gloves
- Due to high demand, volunteer shifts are not guaranteed and you may be notified of back-up driver status .
- With rising summer temperatures, we want to make sure that food stays safe to eat! Your vehicle must be large enough to fit food bags in the car (not in the trunk or in the bed of a truck). Please also keep your air conditioning running at all times while making deliveries.
- Volunteer Waiver link: DWD Volunteer Waiver
Age Minimum (with Adult): 14+, Minimum Age:18+
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: