Volunteer at Big Oak Canyon
Earthroots is developing a 200-year plan for restoring and stewarding Big Oak Canyon. Volunteers are invited to assist with these efforts. All levels of experience welcome.
All volunteers must sign an Earthroots Release Form prior to arrival.
All ages are welcome. Ages 12 and under require adult supervision. Ages 12-18 need an adult signature on the release form.
Volunteer Day Tasks may include:
- clearing non-native plants, trees, and grasses from our 39-acre property
- restoring a seasonal wetland habitat
- tending the orchard
- litter removal
- counting animal/plant species
- meeting new friends
- enjoy spending time in nature
- physical outdoor labor
- painting a shade structure and signs
Groups interested in private volunteer opportunities, please send an inquiry to email@example.com
Big Oak Canyon in Silverado Canyon
Driving directions will be emailed upon RSVP. Please email volunteers@earthrootsfieldschool to RSVP.
What to Bring
– gloves (or use ours!)
– towel, plastic bag (for your dirty clothes) & clean clothes to change into after work
What to wear
– close-toed shoes
– long pants
– long sleeved shirt
– There is poison oak on site growing in some of the areas between the plants where we will be working. Everyone will learn to identify this plant before volunteering. For those brave enough to work near this incredible plant, you may want to wash before heading home.
– Ticks are found at Big Oak Canyon seasonally. The California Department of Public Health offers valuable information on all things ticks, including prevention, remove and treatment.
– Weeding grassy habitat may startle snakes and other small animals. Close-toed shoes, gloves, and pants are required if you will be weeding.
– Children must be accompanied by their parents or responsible adult at all times while on site.
– Each participant MUST fill out a Release Form and bring it to the event: http://earthrootsfieldschool.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/2013_Medical_Release_Form-1.pdf
RSVP for Driving Directions to Chrisha:
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity:
Days of Service (DOS) are national volunteer days that unite individuals, families, service clubs, businesses, schools, and faith-based organizations in volunteerism throughout the year. Join us for one or more of our DOS events.
Community members can make their “day off” a “day on” by celebrating the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. through meaningful service. OneOC will partner with multiple local nonprofits including Orange County United Way, offering volunteer opportunities that address critical community issues.
Earth Day is celebrated around the world, and OneOC observes it with volunteer projects that focus on preserving and beautifying Orange County’s environments. Take an active role in preserving natural habitats and making Orange County a cleaner and greener place to live in.
In observance of the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, volunteers participate in projects that support our troops, veterans, and disaster preparedness, culminating with signature events that provide a community transformation.
Join us to celebrate a new Season of Giving including live service projects, nonprofit wish lists and a downloadable directory (easy-to-use resource guide) of volunteer opportunities throughout Orange County during the holiday season.